Can I buy a house in U.S without Green Card?

May 24, 2023 | Tips | 0 comments

Is it better to get mortgage from lender or bank?

Can I buy a house in U.S. without a green card?

Can I buy a house in U.S. without a green card? Yes, it is possible to buy a house in the United States without a green card. Non-U.S. citizens, including those who are residing in the country temporarily or without a green card, have the right to own property in the United States. In fact, the U.S. legal system generally treats property rights as fundamental and applies them to both citizens and non-citizens alike.

However, there are certain factors you should consider as a non-U.S. citizen when purchasing a house in the United States:

  • Financing: It might be more challenging to obtain a mortgage loan as a non-U.S. citizen. Lenders may require additional documentation, such as a valid visa, proof of income, and a history of creditworthiness.

  • Cash purchases: If you have the financial means, you can buy a house with cash, which eliminates the need for a mortgage loan and associated complications.

  • Legal considerations: It’s important to consult with a real estate attorney who can guide you through the legal requirements and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws.

  • Tax implications: Non-U.S. citizens who own property in the United States may be subject to certain tax obligations. It’s advisable to seek advice from a tax professional familiar with international tax laws to understand your responsibilities.

Remember, while owning property in the United States is possible for non-U.S. citizens, the process may have additional requirements and considerations compared to citizens or green card holders. Consulting with professionals who specialize in real estate and immigration matters can provide you with the necessary guidance for a smooth home purchase. 
Can I buy a house in U.S. without a green card?card?

Do banks give loans to undocumented?

Banks typically require borrowers to provide certain documents and meet specific criteria in order to qualify for a loan. This includes providing identification, proof of income, and other documentation to establish creditworthiness. Undocumented immigrants, by definition, may lack legal documentation such as a social security number or a valid visa.

In most cases, banks and financial institutions require borrowers to have a valid social security number or taxpayer identification number (TIN) to process loan applications. Without these forms of identification, it can be challenging for undocumented immigrants to meet the requirements set by traditional banks.

However, it’s worth noting that there are alternative financial institutions, such as community development financial institutions (CDFIs) and credit unions, that may be more willing to work with undocumented immigrants. These organizations may have more flexible criteria and programs designed to assist underserved communities, including individuals without legal documentation.

Additionally, some states and cities have established programs or initiatives that aim to provide financial services, including loans, to undocumented immigrants. These programs are usually offered through local community organizations and may have specific eligibility criteria.

It’s important to research and inquire about the specific options available in your area, as policies and programs can vary depending on the region. 

Can I buy a house in U.S. without a green card?

Do undocumented immigrants have credit scores?

Undocumented immigrants generally do not have traditional credit scores in the United States. Credit scores are typically based on an individual’s credit history, which includes factors such as payment history, length of credit history, types of credit, and credit utilization.

To establish a credit history and obtain a credit score, individuals usually need to have a Social Security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Undocumented immigrants may not have access to these identification numbers, which can make it challenging for them to build a conventional credit history.

However, it’s important to note that some alternative credit-scoring models and financial institutions are working to provide credit options to individuals without traditional credit histories, including undocumented immigrants. These models may consider alternative data, such as rental payment history, utility bill payments, and other financial activities, to assess creditworthiness.

Furthermore, establishing creditworthiness can be facilitated by obtaining an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). While an ITIN does not provide work authorization or legal status, it allows individuals to fulfill tax obligations and can be used for certain financial purposes, such as opening bank accounts and applying for credit cards or loans.

Undocumented immigrants can also explore options such as secured credit cards, where they provide a cash deposit as collateral, or seek credit-building programs offered by community organizations or nonprofit institutions.

It’s important to consult with financial advisors or organizations that specialize in serving immigrant communities for guidance on building credit without traditional identification.


Can I buy a house in U.S. without a green card?

Can I get permanent residency if I buy a house in USA?

No, purchasing a house in the United States does not automatically grant you permanent residency (also known as a Green Card). The process of obtaining permanent residency in the United States is regulated by U.S. immigration laws and involves various requirements and procedures.

There are several pathways to obtaining permanent residency in the United States, such as through family sponsorship, employment sponsorship, diversity visa lottery, or refugee/asylum status. Each pathway has its own set of eligibility criteria, application processes, and waiting periods.

While buying a house in the United States does not directly lead to permanent residency, it may indirectly contribute to your eligibility for certain pathways. For example, if you have a close family member who is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, and they are willing to sponsor you for a family-based Green Card, owning property in the United States may demonstrate your intent to establish roots and contribute to your case.

It’s important to consult with an immigration attorney or seek advice from the appropriate government authorities, such as U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), to understand the specific requirements and options available to you based on your individual circumstances. They can provide accurate and up-to-date information on the immigration processes and help guide you through the appropriate channels.


Are you ready to take the next step to buy(or sale) your home and start building a legacy for your family?…Let me help you!

“Your Dream Home is my Mission”. I am a Brazilian Licensed Realtor at Re-Connect, LLC with 18+ years of experience in the Real Estate industry. I speaks 3 languages (Portuguese, English, Spanish). Let me join your journey in the Real Estate Industry, and receive my assistance above and beyond to accomplish your DREAM!

CALL NOW: (617) 201-9188 Ana Roque | 209 West Central Street, Natick, MA